While watching movies or thumbing through a magazine, have you ever wondered how actresses get their faces to look so flawless? It’s possible that they have simply been blessed with good genes or have fallen into the hands of a brilliant makeup artist. It may be combination of things but it’s entirely possible that what you’re seeing may be some of the benefits of dermaplaning.
One of trendiest hair removal options today is dermaplaning. Dermaplaning is an exfoliation method that requires the use of a sterile surgical scalpel which gently shaves the top layer of skin, the dead skin layer and vellus hair (peach fuzz). With the build up of dead skin and microscopic hairs, one’s complexion can appear dull, flaky, and can cause breakouts due to clogged pores and follicles. By removing the dead layer of skin and hair and from the face, the skin is evened out and the result is smoother, fresher, and brighter skin.
While dermaplaning is trendy, the concept has been around for quite some time. Often referred to as “shaving the face”, this procedure has been sought after for years. It is a favorite in the entertainment industry among actresses and models. By removing dead skin and vellus hairs, skin care products are able to penetrate the skin better and allow for better make-up application.
While there are many perks to dermaplaning, here are just a handful of the benefits and answers to some commonly asked questions:
1. Dermaplaning is recommended for all skin types. This procedure doesn’t discriminate and virtually everyone can benefit from it. Patients with sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, dry skin and dull skin are all great candidates.
2. Dermaplaning will NOT make your hair grow back darker and thicker. This myth simply is not true. Your hair will grow back the same texture and at the same speed as before.
3. There is no downtime with dermaplaning. In some cases, the skin may appear slightly red but fades quickly. It is not uncommon for this procedure to performed on one’s lunch break.
4. You need to be diligent with SPF after dermaplaning. Sun protection should be worn every day but it is crucial after post exfoliation. Your skin will be especially susceptible to the sun after this procedure along with any other type of exfoliation treatment.
5. The results can last for up to four weeks. Dermaplaning removes three weeks of dead skin cells which allows your skin to glow all month long. The skin, however, is always growing so you’ll need to consistently schedule treatments to maintain results.
6. Don’t trust just anyone to perform the procedure. While the procedure is simple, painless, and easy, it does require the use of a sharp scalpel to exfoliate correctly. It is recommended that you only see a doctor or a medical aesthetician for the best and safest results.
Dermaplaning is a painless procedure that requires no numbing cream. Your treating provider will cleanse and dry the skin. Next, they’ll pull the skin to get it taut with one hand and hold a sterile blade a 45 degree angle with the other. They will use short, swift strokes to scrape the dead skin cells and fine hairs from the top layer of your skin. It may sound scary but rest assured, it is not. The procedure, when done correctly, can be very relaxing!
Perhaps the best part about dermaplaning is that the results are immediate. The procedure provides many of the same benefits as a chemical peel without the down time and clients often report that their skin has never felt so smooth.
Dermaplaning is usually performed every three to four weeks. It is important to have the skin complete its normal rejuvenation cycle before going back and having the treatment done again. The procedure removes 21 days worth of dead skin cells from he facial area so plan on having it done about once a month.
While the benefits of dermaplaning far outweigh the negatives, here are just a few pros and cons to help you determine if you are a candidate:
* The procedure painlessly exfoliates the stratum corner to stimulate cellular turnover with zero downtime.
* It is a great option for clients with sensitive skin or pregnant women who are looking to exfoliate.
* Dermaplaning can be performed prior to treatments such as facials, microdermabrasion, and chemical peels and allows for better product penetration.
* Because we are constantly turning over skin cells, it can be performed frequently.
* It significantly helps lighten acne scars.
* It is quick (the procedure typically takes less than 30 minutes).
* The results may not be as long lasting as other hair removal methods because the hair is not removed from the root.
* Results will vary depending on the individual hair growth cycle of each client.
* Clients with acne and cystic acne should avoid this treatment as it can cause further irritation.
At dermani MEDSPA®, we are committed to helping our clients not only meet but exceed their skin care goals. If having radiant, brighter, and younger looking skin is important to you, maybe it’s time you gave dermaplaning a try. Call today to schedule your free consultation at 770-212-2242 or go online to schedule at dermanimedspa.com