Microdermabrasion is one of today’s most popular anti-aging treatments available in both dermatologist and medspa offices. This non invasive procedure removes the dead and dry layer of the skin’s surface and reveals fresh, healthy, and vibrant skin underneath resulting in a smoother and brighter complexion.
The procedure is minimally invasive and is actually one of the gentlest and fastest exfoliating treatments around today. It is a non-surgical resurfacing technique performed in a series of about 6-10 treatments.
So what exactly is Microdermabrasion? Microdermabrasion is the process of using tiny crystals to exfoliate the skin and then drawing out impurities through suction. The procedure essentially works in two parts and the microdermabrasion device has two functions. The machine first utilizes the crystals to gently exfoliate the surface of the skin while at the same time, a vacuum sucks the removed skin cells and debris away.
The procedure works by using one of two methods. The first is that of swiping a crystal/diamond tipped wand across the skin. The depth of the abrasion may be altered by the pressure applied on the hand piece as well as how long the suction is allowed to remain on the skin. The second method uses a crystal emitting hand piece and gently sprays on fine crystals to rub away the outer layers of the skin. Just as with the diamond-tip hand piece, the dead skin cells are suctioned off right away. The latter and more aggressive method is typically only available in dermatologist offices.
Depending on your reason for having a Microdermabrasion, you may see results after a single treatment. This is typically the case when being used to treat and remove blackheads or simply brighten the skin. Other conditions, however, may require multiple sessions before you are able to notice the effects.
There is little to no downtime required after Microdermabrasion and one should be able to resume daily activities immediately. Upon having the procedure, the skin may remain slightly pink and feel tight and dry for about 24 hours. It may feel and should be treated like a mild sunburn so it is important to use SPF, moisturizer, as well as gentle skin care products.
This cosmetic treatment is appealing for multiple reasons. In addition to being non invasive, Microdermabrasion is safe, painless, quick and available to all ages and skin types.
Additional Benefits of Microdermabrasion:
- The process improves blood and lymphatic circulation deep within the skin which improves the internal health of the skin. Enhanced blood flow means more oxygen and nutrients to the cells which over time enhances the skin and improves elasticity.
- Enhances Product Efficiency
- By removing dead skin cells, microdermabrasion has been shown to enhance the absorption of skincare products by the skin by up to 50%.
- Pore Size and Health
- Microdermabrasion not only unclogs pores but reduces the size of them as well. While we are born with certain pore sizes, some external factors enlarge them. Pores may enlarge due to hygiene or inflammation of the skin as a result of being clogged.
- Many people now choose microdermabrasion over other treatment options because it is safer and still achieves great results. It is one of the safest cosmetic procedures you can have done and does not require any recovery time.
- Range of Uses
- Microdermabrasion has been used for multiple skin conditions. These include acne, acne scarring, age spots, dull skin, fine lines, hyper pigmentation and wrinkles.
At dermani MEDSPA®, we are committed to helping our clients achieve all of their skin care needs. If you would like to see if you could benefit from Microdermabrasion, call today to schedule your free consultation at 770-212-2242 or go online to dermanimedspa.c