Don’t let the names fool you… Microneedling and microdermabrasion help you achieve different skin goals! Here are some of the main differences between these two skin rejuvenation services!
Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling is as an excellent skin resurfacer. This treatment can be done just about anywhere the skin is affected and produces real results without the downtime of an ablative laser treatment, making it very popular. This skin rejuvenation procedure uses a small pen containing tiny “micro” needles to puncture the top layer of skin. The needles then penetrate the upper layer of skin to stimulate collagen, causing the skin to plump and thicken, which reduces the appearance of scars, stretch marks, wrinkles, and more. In essence, the body overreacts to the small trauma and the healing process releases growth factors to improve the overall texture and appearance of the skin.
Microneedling tends to be not only an affordable, comfortable procedure, but also has a short recovery period, making it quite popular.
Other microneedling benefits include:
- Exfoliates the skin
- Reduces blackheads
- Treats both acne and cystic acne
- Reduces acne scarring and pock marks from acne
- Reduces hyper-pigmentation
- Improves fine lines and wrinkles, producing a more youthful appearance
- Evens skin tone, stretch marks, and skin texture
- Effective for all skin types, from light to dark
- In-office procedure that is quick and simple with minimal downtime
At dermani MEDSPA®, our trained estheticians use SkinPen®, the first FDA-approved medical grade microneedling device.
Depending on the patient, microneedling healing times vary, and it is not recommended to schedule the procedure around important events. Most patients make a full recovery within 24 hours, though some also experience dryness and slight flaking. Patients should avoid exercise and sun exposure for three days after the treatment and should not exfoliate for two weeks. A gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 are also recommended.
Patients will typically see improvement after one treatment, though a series of treatments is recommended. If you are wanting to brighten an already healthy complexion, you may benefit from a single treatment. If you are treating pre-existing damage, you may need 3-6 treatments spaced about a month apart. During your free 15-minute consultation, our licensed estheticians will be able to assess the damage and determine how many sessions you may need.
Microdermabrasion is a noninvasive procedure that removes the dead and dry layer of the skin’s surface and reveals fresh, healthy, and vibrant skin underneath, which ultimately results in a smoother and brighter complexion. This service is amazing as it is completely nonsurgical and noninvasive and is actually one of the gentlest and fastest exfoliating treatments on the market. Microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals to exfoliate the skin, then draws out impurities through suction. The machine first utilizes the crystals to gently exfoliate the surface of the skin while at the same time a vacuum sucks the removed skin cells and debris away.
Benefits of microdermabrasion include:
- Improves blood and lymphatic circulation deep within the skin, improving the internal health of the skin. Enhanced blood flow means more oxygen and nutrients to the cells, which over time enhances and improves skin elasticity.
- By removing dead skin cells, microdermabrasion has been shown to enhance the absorption of skincare products by the skin by up to 50%.
- Microdermabrasion not only unclogs pores, but reduces the size of them as well. While we are born with certain pore sizes, some external factors enlarge them, like overall hygiene or inflammation of the skin as a result of being clogged.
- This exfoliation technique is safer that other types and still achieves great results. It is one of the safest cosmetic procedures you can have done and does not require any recovery time.
- Microdermabrasion has been used for multiple skin conditions, like acne, acne scarring, age spots, dull skin, fine lines, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, and more!
- Depending on your reason for receiving a microdermabrasion treatment, you may see results after just a single treatment. This is typically the case when being used to treat and remove blackheads or simply brighten the skin. Other conditions may require multiple sessions before you see noticeable results.
There is little to no downtime required after microdermabrasion and you should be able to resume daily activities immediately. In addition to being noninvasive, microdermabrasion is safe, painless, quick, and available to all ages and skin types!
So there you have it! If you’re looking for a great service for scarring, fine lines, or wrinkles, come in and see us for SkinPen® microneedling. If you are looking for a brighter complexion and exfoliated skin, microdermabrasion is for you! Still have questions? Schedule a FREE skin rejuvenation consultation and our highly trained, licensed estheticians will walk you through what service is best for your needs!